Saturday, April 9, 2011

Cloth Diaper Trial - Day 3

After calculating how much money we could save with switching to cloth diapers, Luke and I decided to do a cloth diaper trial from Jillian's Drawers. They sent us a variety of diapers to keep for three weeks, all for a measly fee of $10!

I'm starting on Day 3 with my "report" because days 1 and 2 were used to prep the diapers (washing on hot 3 times and then drying). Nothing too exciting there. I spent yesterday evening trying to figure out sizing on the one-size diapers that were sent in the trial.

Today was the first day of real cloth diapering! When Isabella woke up I changed her out of her pampers diaper and into a BumGenius OS 4.0. She promptly pooped in it less than an hour later. The next victim was a Happy Heiney OS. I hate the abundance of snaps on this diaper (4 per tab, or 8 total). She also pooped in this diaper, which seemed fitting since I didn't like it. Then we tried a Rumparooz diaper. I like the design on this diaper, and it's user-friendly, but it didn't seem like the rise was as long as some of the other one-size diapers and I had to let all the snaps out to make it look like it fit correctly. This doesn't bode well for the future with this diaper since Isabella is only 15 months and 23 pounds. Next was a SmartiPants OS. This design has a pocket on both the front and back of the diaper, which wasn't as "clean" a look as I was putting it on. It also has only a single line of snaps to affix the tabs to the front of the diaper, which at first I didn't like, but it didn't seem to affect the usage. Our last daytime diaper today was a Fuzzibunz one-size. The sizing on the Fuzzibunz was quite confusing to me, but it is a nice look without all the extra snaps on the front. To round out our day, Isabella pooped in this one, too! :-P We put her to bed tonight in a Thirsties OS fitted with a Thirsties cover.

I've been really pleased today with how well the diapers worked today, especially considering how much poop was involved! No leaking at all. All today's diapers are in the washer downstairs getting ready to go again...so until tomorrow...good night!

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you are getting to try a big variety of styles. As for the Rumparooz goes try it one time snapped down just once. Jett is 27lbs at 18 months and I just moved him up to the largest setting, and being a boy they pee higher than girls. So I do believe that the snapped down setting should work for her.
    If you ever have any questions or just need some tips or hints let me know. I'd be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Julie said about the Rumps ^^

    How fun for you! I'm glad day 1 was pretty easy :). If you need help there's lots of us to bounce questions off of!

    I think its hilarious she pooped in so many of them. It's so typical of them to christen new diapers like that! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love BG too!! Definitely our favorite :) If you like bums you should try some KaWaiis...very similar to bums, but cheaper and they have super cute minky diaps!

    ReplyDelete